Saturday, April 18, 2009

Happy Birthday Madeline

First, I know. Where have I been? I noticed that when the girls are out of school, I get very confused. What day is it? Like some old, senile person. And it really doesn't help that Shawn has taken off most of this week, too. So not having my alarm wake me up at 4:50 every morning has really thrown me off. So there you have it. That's my excuse for not being a faboo blogger and I'm sticking to it. Plus, I haven't actually made anything to show you guys. But I did make this. And that's only because today is Madeline's birthday. I had to make something. And wooo, doggy, did I struggle with this card. {Ok, warning: the following is a peek into my slow, spiral towards madness. I dunno. Or, just my card making process. To be frightened, or possibly entertained, continue reading.} This was my first time coloring in the flower from this set. And I didn't wanna just do pink again (altho you know i will) cuz I always do pink flowers. So it came out this color. Very earthy, I think. Then it was, do I do the leaf or not do the leaf? Where should I put the leaf? One leaf or two? Then I had to make a mask of the flower (that's stamping the flower on a post-it, cutting it out and then covering the flower I already colored) so I could stamp the leaf *behind* the flower. Ok, phew. So making all those decisions and then bringing them to life took like, 3 hours. Now, what to mat this on? K, so I've got it on some paper there. Good, good, making progress. I'd like to add some ribbon, but don't wanna just do my wrap around again. Hmmm, what to do, what to do? Ok, finally decided on the loopy guys. Should I stamp the flower on the card base? Yes, I think I will do that. K, I think I'll put the sentiment in brown. Craft or dye ink? Ooh, my craft pad is waaaay too juicy. Let's go with the dye ink. Okie dokie. Oh, hmmm. That's crooked. But I'm being way too picky again, and no one will notice. Movin' on. Alrighty, lemme pretend it's all put together and I'll ask Darien for her opinion.

Me: Hey, what do you think of this?



Darien: Mmmm, it's nice.


Me: For Madeline?


Darien: Oh, yeah, then that's a good one!


Me: Can you tell the Happy Birthday is a little crooked?


Darien: Mom, geez, no one can tell!


Alright. Naaaailed it! So let's put this bad boy together. I put the ding dang flower on and it is soooo crooked, even Shawn noticed! And I used glue dots, so that thing wasn't moving. Ok, by now I'm on like, hour 5 (ok, that includes making dinner and people coming in to ask questions and the gobs of *mom, can you...*) of putting this card together. I am NOT starting over. Plus, it has to go in the mail. Ok, I'm going to bed. I'll just get up in the morning and start the whole thing over. I just have to copy it, all the hard work has been done. But when I wake up in the morning, I realize that I can just use my heating tool to melt said glue dots and lift that bad boy right off the base. Oh, yeah, who's brilliant? Oh, yeah. So I do it. Not bad, she'll never notice the crease I made in her card. Or the singed edges where I heated the dots a little too long. oops. Put some glue on there & slap it back on. O. M. G. I put it on upside down. Krista by now is cracking up (which is an awesome sound, btw) because she doesn't really see who's gonna know it's upside down. I'M gonna know! So I quickly peel it off (yeah, not going with glue dots twice! plus, they're still kinda there & it would be mucho bumpy) and added more glue & flipped it around. And got it straight! Ta daaaaaaa! She better love this card is all I have to say.



Stamps: Friends til the End & Birthday Basics (PTI), Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Apricot Appeal & Chocolate Chip (SU!), Paper: PTI white, Wild Wasabi & Chocolate Chip (SU!), Accessories: Dark Chocolate swiss dot satin ribbon (PTI), Copics:



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

By the time I got to the end of your post, I was laughing so hard I forgot what I wanted to say about the card! Plus, Kaleb interrupted my thoughts with a new idea for how to make hamburgers. Something he saw on the Food Network. Where was I? Oh, yeah, stunning card, yep, that's the word I had in my head when I first saw it. Love the colors, the composition, and the fact that the ribbon mimics the center of the flower without being exactly like it. I'm not sure how you ever finished it, tho! Too funny.
Bestest Mom Ever

Rachel said...

It is 11 am the the 13 year old is still asleep. She has never slept past 8am in her life, and is usually up by 6 on her own. Is this how it happens? All of a sudden- BOOM!- she's a teenager??
She will love the card :)
I will let you know when it arrives!
<3

Anonymous said...

After reading all you went through for just one card, I thought, whew! now I need a nap! Love the flower and choice of colors. I'm sure she will love it.

Your Favorite Aunt

 

Mint To Be | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates