Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Happy Birthday, You Teenage Boy


Ok, I just wanna say that teenage boys are officially the hardest to make cards for. I know, I do tend to grumble an awful lot about making certain cards, but this time I mean it. I had no idea where to even start for this one. I thought I would just find some boy-like paper for the background and slap 'Happy Birthday' on it and call it a day. I mean, it's not like he's gonna look at it, right? So, off to Michael's I went. I can't even begin to tell you how clever I thought I was when I found basketball paper. Darn right clever, because that's what we bought him - a basketball. It was on his list, so we did what we were told. But how in the world would I use paper with basketballs all over it? What color cardstock would I use? In case you hadn't noticed, I tend to be matchy-matchy with my cards (I'm working on breaking out of that mold) and I don't have that color orange. Plus, I just used orange! The world hasn't gone topsy-turvy, has it? So, as a back up, I thought I'd get this here denim paper, perhaps for future use. Mmhmm. So I got home and I was bound and determined to use that silly basketball paper. I sat & stared at it for, like, a gabillion hours. Then I just gave up & went to the denim. Well, you can't really just slap 'Happy Birthday' on that one. We don't need to get carried away with the boring. So, I thought, hey, a pocket would be cool. Of course, he's gettin' a basketball, so nothing's going in the pocket, but wouldn't that be cool? Um, but now I needed a prototype for a pocket...so I scoured Splitcoast and found this card. Why I didn't just go look at one of my 1000 pairs of jeans, I have no idea. Now Mensa will never let me in! Yeah, always thinkin' on my feet. Anyway, after all that, I end up with this. And, for you people who love to give me grief on my nearly perfected nit-pickiness, notice that I even left the boo-boo on the card. I think it lends to the realism. Ok, I just didn't feel like cutting it out again and piercing all those holes and then going over it with my Sharpie. Oh, and you can't see it, but I sponged the edges to make it look darker and slightly dirty. Ok, very slightly. I am still a girl, after all. Phew. And after all that, he opens the card, looks at it and says, "What's with all the pants cards?" Ok, for the record, I saw no other cards with pants on them. Am I missing a trend? *sigh* Teenagers.

Stamps: Lexicon of Love (SU!), Ink: Brilliance Graphite Black (Tsukineko), Paper: Wouldn't you know, I used the part with the maker on the back? But it's at Michael's, and Papertrey white, Accessories: brads (Making Memories), paper piercer, Black Sharpie, clear embossing powder (SU!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, at least he noticed the card! And it is way, way cool. Very trendy and so un-Mint like. Stepped out of the box on this one. I love it!
Bestest Mom Ever

Anonymous said...

I like it! I like denim, tho. And, like your mom said, "at least he noticed the card!" Most boys wouldn't have said anything.

Your Favorite Aunt

Stephanie said...

I think you could use that cards for older guys too

 

Mint To Be | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates