Saturday, August 11, 2007

What's In A Name?

Ok, time for a little factoid. I had a reader wonder (hey, I have a reader!) what's up with my name. Ok, it was Amy over at Heartfelt Greetings doing the wondering. Alrighty, let's get this out of the way.

First, lemme just say I was born in the 70's. Like, the picture over there doesn't give that away. My daughter finds my accessories to be painfully hilarious. I'm sorry, we didn't have scrunchies waaaay back then. And I like my hair ribbons, big as they are, thank you very much.

Here comes the painful part. When my parents were trying to come up with a name for me, my mother thought something different would be fun. A kick, if you will. This is a woman who legally changed her first name as an adult because she hated her "different" name so much. If I or my brother so much as utter it, we get "the look". You know, the Mom Death Ray Look. Yeah, it's not pretty. So my parents started brainstorming, and when it came down to it, they had to choose between Mentoria and, I'm guessing on the spelling here, Frizzetta. I know, right? Look at that picture. Could you imagine that poor child being strapped with the name Frizzetta? Not to offend anyone out there who may actually have that name, but come on. Ok, so where would they have gotten Mentoria? Well, my dad had a friend (I believe from high school, but totally not his girlfriend *nod, nod, wink, wink*) with that name. And my mom, being possibly the most open minded person in the world, thought, hmmm, that sounds nice. Alright, now you want to know what it means. Supposedly, it's Seminole Indian for Princess. Yeah, that's fun. Little did they know, I would go pretty much my whole life with people calling me Victoria. Which is why I now go by Mint, which most people can pronounce and remember.

12 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing Mint! I knew there was a story behind your original name. Don't feel bad though...my GRANDMOTHER wanted my mom to name me STAR. What?????? You've got to be kidding me. Star Stewart. That's who I would have been if my Mom hadn't stepped in and said "no daughter of mine will be named Star!" Whew. That was close. I think Mint fits you just fine. Hope you are having fun getting some fun new traffic to your blog today. Don't worry, you'll have a following in no time.

Hugs,
Amy

Sew Club said...

I just found your blog from Amy, and I loved reading your story! You've got some pretty rockin' cards, too! Thanks for filling us in, and I think your name is kind of cool! ;)

Paula said...

My oldest DD was born in 1969, and I remember I had a LOT of those yarn hair ribbon thingies for her, LOL..Some of my friends were hippies, and here are some names from their kids: Echo, Rainbow, Lark! Oh those days! Mint is good.

Kelly said...

I think the 'do is cute (I'm a product of the 70's too, and love those ribbons!) and I'm diggin' the name Mint, too! I just started a new blog last week, come by and visit. I look forward to seeing some more of your posts!

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

Oh, I had ribbons just like those as a kid and just thought I was absolutely spiffy! I found your blog through Amy and will definitely be back. Love your writing style and your cards!

Smiles!
Julee

Debby Winters said...

Hi Mint! I really do like your name and your blog! I just found it through "Stampin When I Can".

I look forward to being a regular reader of your blog!

Samm said...

ahhhh, but I love this photo, you look sooo cute!!!

Samm
x

Michelle said...

I like your hair ribbons, and I love your name. It's funny how parents can completely forget their own childhood "traumas", and inflict those same things on their kids. I love Mentoria. It's a beautiful name. Mint, though, looks like it fits you (if your picture shows your real personality!).

Charlene Austin said...

Great story! I loved my yarn ribbon bows. I can remember how soft they were. So what is your brothers name? I gotta know. LOL!

Anonymous said...

LOVE your name, love the story, love the pic, love the cards, love the writing, it's all perfectly perfect!!!

TFS,
danni

Heather said...

1) I wore those SAME ribbons in my ponytails as a kid!
2) Mint is a very unique name- I think people would remember your name easier. Great story of how you got your name.

Anonymous said...

Very funny, ha ha. I'm sending you the Mom Death Ray Look via blog commentize. Bestest Mom Ever

 

Mint To Be | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates